Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Share and Share Alike

Share and share alike, that is what my grandmother, Sweetiepie, would say.   But, growing up, I saw her perform this action much more than I heard her say it.   My grandmother always had a vegetable garden, so there were always cucumbers, peppers (green and jalapeƱo), onions, cabbages, collards, mustards, corn, yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, potatoes (white and sweet) and pole beans.  Strawberries and grapes use to grow on the back fence, but they were there from the previous owner, and my grandmother let them grow wild for a long time.  However, even when our house was full, we still didn’t consume all of those fruits and vegetables, so she gave them away to friends and neighbors.   Sometimes, she traded with others, for cherries or apples.   I liked the trading part, because, usually meant that I was sent to the garden to pick the vegetables.  As a little kid, that was my favorite job.   But, it wasn’t just vegetables; she also shared plants as well.  And bartering, my grandmother used to do my cousin’s taxes, and in return he would mow the lawn on Saturdays, or other yard work.   I never thought much of it, but these were great survival skills.  And, they are skills that can be used today.
Those of you, who read my status on FB, know that I work in a rural area.   One benefit has been that people bring fruits and vegetables from their garden to work.   So, bags of squash, tomatoes, onions cucumbers, zucchini, corn and apples have placed on the table in the cafeteria.  People walk by and they help themselves.  I walk by and help myself.  Granted, I don’t have a garden, so I am getting the better end of the deal.  However, this Frugal Diva needs all the help she can get; my commute to work is 165 miles round trip.  I am taking the produce.  J
But, seriously, when was the last time you traded or shared?  Heck, I have to ask myself the same question.   One of my favorite places to shop for some items is Costco.  But, I am by myself and I live in an apartment, so I don’t do a lot of Costco shopping.   But, my mom does, so we share a membership.   Ok, I pay the membership, but she has paid in the past.   I pay online, and she doesn’t do the online thing.   However, if you have a sibling with a large family, you can share a membership and only pay half for the membership fee.   Another example, I like to order from Omaha Steaks from time to time, and they can be pricey.  Also, I don’t need all of that red meat.  So, the next time I order a package on sale, I am ordering with a friend.   That way, we can split the cost and have a good steak every now and them. 
One thing that I haven’t mentioned is that this frugal tip relies heavily on friendship, trust and reliability.   There is nothing more disappointing than to offer to go or go half or with a group on something, and the person or more than one person bails out.   I should know, because I lost money on a trip to Vegas once that way and a New Years Eve party and...   What am I saying?   That money is gone...  That is not frugal.  Ignore this blog!!  (sob, sob..)L 
***Happy ThoughtsHappy ThoughtsHappy Thoughts… Happy Thoughts… Happy Thoughts… Happy Thoughts!!!***
OK, no, that is not what I am saying.  You have to know the people that you are dealing with.  You have to know what your friends or relatives can deal with.  (Reality can cramp a Diva’s style, can’t it??…)  But if you know them, this can work out quite well on both sides.   And, if it doesn’t, don’t close yourself to other opportunities.   Wait a while, lick your wounds and choose someone else.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment