Tuesday, December 20, 2011

What I want for Christmas....

Looking back over the year, and the start of this blog, I realize what is missing and why I started writing.  I miss a generation of my family, those who belong to what is now called  the greatest generation.  Those members in my family knew how to handle tough times.  Also, the understood family, faith and integrity.  Now that I look back on them, I see 4 pillars, my grandmother (Sweetiepie) my Aunt (Johnnie Mae), and my cousins (Cornelius and Coranza).  They kept our family together.  I never realized how much or how important they were, until they were all gone.  They were there for me since the beginning; my Cousin Cornelius carried me out of Hutzel Hospital when I was born.  They knew how to survive tough times, because they knew how to work together.  They loved and respected each other and they knew each other’s strengths and weaknesses.  For example, my grandmother and aunt were teachers, so when a child or later grand child needed help, they were their to tutor.   Or if one of them went shopping and found out about a good deal, they would call each other or buy enough for everyone and stop by with their savings.  They were always there for each other.   When I was a toddler, I was afraid to walk down the stairs, at home, because I had fallen.  It was my cousin Cornelius who taught me how to walk down the stairs backwards, so I would not fall.  Good times were celebrated and difficult times were worked through together.  Even though I know how they would handle the current economic situation, I wish they were here because I truly miss their positive spirit as well as their strength.  One thing that I noticed is that, once they decided what the right path was, they stayed on that path and they supported each other.  If I could have anything in the world for Christmas, I would want those people back, even if it was only for a short time.  But since I can’t have them back, I would like their strength, wisdom and conviction. 

#Christmas
#family

No comments:

Post a Comment