Monday, September 29, 2014

Being a Trouper...

A few weeks ago, I was having a conversation with my mother and we were discussing some issues and she stated “You know Cara; you have always been a trouper.”  I know it was a compliment, but you know what sometimes being a trouper sucks.  It sucks monkey butt.  Some characteristics all seem to go together, you are a trouper, you are strong and/or you are a dependable.  All of these are good qualities, but no one is perfect, and sometimes people who are like that show weakness, need support or make mistakes.  If you have the reputation as a trouper and you falter, everyone is disappointed, because that is not you.  But the problem is everyone falters or has a moment of weakness at some time of their life, even the dependable ones.  Everyone needs a shoulder to cry on, or someone to cheer them up, however when you are the strong person, people that you expect to be around to help you aren't available.  The best way to describe it was when my grandmother passed.  My mother kind of just checked out from reality.  Someone had to be responsible, and keep it together.  And, I did.  But, I really wanted a shoulder to cry on as well.  No one was there.  It was a very lonely position.  Strong people need support too, because being the one who is always supportive needs support as well.   

No comments:

Post a Comment