Monday, October 13, 2014

Recession Definition

Since it was Columbus Day, I was watching The View.  Russell Brand was a guest on the show and he was talking about his book "Revolution".   He was discussing the age old topics of Economics and Change.  He mentioned how those in power aren't really interested in change, because they like things running the way that they are.  These statements have caused controversy.  I may not agree with everything that he says but I know that he was right.  I used to work with a woman who was also a Technical Writer and she used to have affirmations written on Post-it Notes on and around her desk.  I saw nothing wrong with that, but I did have a problem with some of the things that she had written on them.  One of the affirmations stated “A Recession is just a financial correction of money moving from the poor to the wealthy.”

When I saw this affirmation, and I thought about all the people that struggled through this economy, I felt angry and disturbed.  However, if you knew the woman, you would not be surprised.  She was a Psychologist who became a Technical Writer, and later the manager of the Technical Writing Department.  She was excellent at using her background to manipulate her staff and her management.  And, although she did not make a six figure salary, she managed to make well into the six figures through overtime.  Even though she had a staff, she made should that she had a certain amount of overtime each year.  She also tried to make a habit out of only hiring people who she felt were not capable of improving her department, because that might make less hours for her.  I was hired by her manager against her wishes and our relationship was difficult.  I was not easily manipulated and I was able to complete and even improve a lot of the work that she performed.


I learned a lot from this difficult experience, but what I learned a lot about greed and people who have a sense of entitlement.  I also learned how much people will keep the status quo in an up close and personal way.  

1 comment: