Monday, October 27, 2014

Timing is Everything...


My title is a popular phrase, but it is so true.  It applies to everything from art to business.  I think that it is so important, because more often we experience bad timing or so-so timing as opposed to great timing (Striking while the iron is hot!).  What I have noticed is that, great timing can occur or may occur when you are aware of your fears, but they don’t control you.  Currently, I am and have been experiencing poor timing.  I have not only let fear control my decisions, but, I let it immobilize me and place me in situations that I never thought that I would experience.  My biggest fear is that I will not get out of the situation that I am in and I will miss out on the rest of my life.  I look back and notice how much fear has taken away from me.  Mostly, I have experienced fear of failure, and in turn, I have done just that.  I say that I am missing out on life, because right now, I just exist, work and write.  That is it. 


Primarily, I write, because I seem to have nothing else left.  And, for some reason, I have decided to write about all of the thoughts that go through my head.  So, I write instead of just sitting in a corner meditating or thinking.  The funny part about this is I always wanted to write.  When I was a kid, I dreamed of writing the great American novel, even though I never thought of myself as a writer.  I was going to do it as one of my side hobbies.  I didn't write the Great American novel, but I did write a book at 22.  I was still at Michigan State University.  The book consisted of my experiences and observations that I had in college.  I remember feeling inspired, and writing for days.  After I had completed writing and editing my draft, I submitted my manuscript.  I think that I sent it to one or two places, and it was rejected (of course).  I wasn't prepared for rejection, and as a writer, you have to be prepared for a lot of rejection.  I also told my counselor at school about it.  He thought that the story was interesting, but he thought that I was too you to write a book that could be controversial.  He suggested that I keep the manuscript, and look at writing a book later on; after all, I was young.  I followed his instructions and I put it down, it was almost 20 years until I looked at it again.  When I looked at it again, I don’t even think that I recognized the person who wrote that book.  The person who wrote that book, never thought about what they could or couldn't do, they would just move forward.  I was always confident about my writing, well actually about my ability to communicate in general.  When it came to writing about topics and of course humor, I had great timing.  I had some fear as well, but it didn’t control me.  I know that part of it is that I am older, but there are still so many things that I could do if I re-calibrated my fear, and started allowing myself to have great timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment