Monday, December 1, 2014

It isn’t a Bandwagon anyone wants to be on….

Last night my former boss was on Facebook talking about what the GOP staffer had said about President Obama’s daughters.  He was saying that we need to complain and she needs to be fired.  I glanced; I thought that it was inappropriate.  But, I didn't say anything, nor did I respond to the post.  Sometimes, you just get numb.  There is always something.  Well, this morning, I turned on CNN after I finished my 6 am meeting, they were discussing the incident, and they read what the staffer had said about the girls.  For a brief moment, I was angry, and I posted my feelings on Facebook.  Here is what I posted:

“The Communication Director from Tennessee should be fired for what she said about the President's daughters. The apology was half-assed. But, I don't believe much will happen because they are two black girls.

If you glance at the statement, you would think that comes from Trayvon Martin, or the Mike Brown incident, or all the other incidents that have occurred recently, and you know, I wish the hell it did.  But, it didn't.  It comes from life.  It comes from your parents telling you that you have value, but others are not going to see it.  And even though you shouldn't have to prove anything, you have to prove them wrong.  It comes from…

  • Being 9 and getting a “C: in Science on your report card, and when you mother asks the Science teacher to show her your grades in her grade book, she doesn't have any.  You got a “C” because you looked average.  So, your mother comes home and tells you that you are going to learn how to outline.  Because you are going to outline your 4th grade Science book for extra credit, so you won’t look average. ( I still had fun, because Ronaldo Turner also started outlining his Science book, so we would compete to see who completed the most chapters each week.  I guess that he looked average too. )

  • Being a sophomore in high school and being told that besides writing about African American stories, Black people can’t write, by your English teacher.


  • Being a senior in high school and your Spanish teacher tells your mother that you are not college material in front of you.  And then, the teacher tries to console your mother by saying “There –There maybe the next generation in your family will go to college.”, not realizing that your mother was skipping her graduate Math class to meet with her about her daughter. 

  • Returning to your dorm after spending a weekend at home and having all of your belongings set out in the hallway of your college dorm, because your roommates decide that when they divide the triples, you are the one who should leave.  And, they want to make sure that you get the message.

  • Having your manager giving your summer home address and phone to a local drug dealer in college without your knowledge or permission, and then apologizing after he finds out that you are a MSU college student, just like him.  I guess every young black girl not in college wants to date a guy with money, no matter how he gets it.

  • Having someone who you thought was your friend tells you during a misunderstanding, “I could have had some guys come over and beat you up, but I didn't.”  And knowing that if you weren't Black, the offer would not have been made, and you would have never heard that statement. 

My point is that it comes from a lot of unnecessary crap.  I don’t tell you how each story ends, because it isn't necessary.  We can just jump ahead and say that I am survivor, not a victim.  And, when I was too young to fight, my mother and grandmother were there to fight for me.  For every story I have there are many Black women who have there own.  And we experience the same crap today.  However, sometimes, when we see it start all over on the next generation, we just get pissed off.  We have to say something.  Those girls were just standing there; they were dressed fine for a 13 and 16 year old.  Now you can say that the Communication Director was exercising free speech.  Well, I am exercising mine, now that she has resigned.  Good riddance!!  Don’t let the doorknob hit you, where the good Lord split you.

#unnecessarycrap
#survivor

No comments:

Post a Comment